Monday, April 24, 2017

A Not-So-Empty Promise

As I look back on the last two-and-a-half years since my last blog post, I think of how many crazy changes I've gone through in my life.

I got into college. I went to college. I transferred colleges. I had a boyfriend. My boyfriend and I broke up. I picked a major. I changed my major. And I changed my major again, and again, and again. I've circled through different friend groups. I've traveled to some amazing cities and countries. I've decided to study abroad next spring. And so much more.

Today, on April 24th, 2017, continuous blogging is not an attainable goal for me. I have final projects, portfolios and exams to get through. I have a feeling I'm about to go through some more heartbreak pretty soon. To be blunt, my life is going to get worse before it gets better. However, I want to make myself a promise.

I want to be realistic about blogging, and where it can take me once I have the opportunity to be serious about it. So all of this is to say that no, I won't be blogging right now, but come the end of this semester, I'm going to make a conscious effort to a lot more of it.

This summer I'll be in Boston taking classes so that I can study abroad next spring. The fun thing about this is, obviously, summer in a fantastic city. The not-so-fun thing is that most of my friends will not be in Boston with me this summer. As a bit of a homebody, I know that I'm going to need to take some steps to avoid staying in my room when I should be strolling on the esplanade, or sitting in Mugar Memorial Library when my favorite Brookline park is a much better homework location. To combat this, I'm doing two things.

One.
I got a Fitbit! All the thanks here go to my parents for a spot-on Easter present. The idea behind this thought was that if there's something on my wrist buzzing at me every hour to go walk around, then hopefully I will. Additionally, my Fitbit app has all kinds of work-outs to do, tracks my food and water intake, tracks my sleep, and likely a whole lot more that I haven't figured out yet!

Two.
I am going to make a very conscious effort that on May 10th I will start blogging. My goal is to blog every day, but this will depend on my school and work schedules. What I do know is that at least twice a week, I'm going to make a blog post. I've never committed to this before so I'm sure it will be a bit rough at first.

Hopefully, these two goals will go hand in hand, in that I will get to walk all over Boston blogging my summer away. I'm sure there will be days when all I can talk about is my outfit or how stressed I am about school, but I really want to try and commit to this.

When I first thought of this idea, I contemplated deleting the few blog posts I made a few years ago. However, I've decided that keeping them there will help motivate me of what I don't want to do. As I'm sure every blogger has, I've already failed at this a few times before. This time I'm bringing my camera up to school (I would write what kind of camera I have and post a link, but it's been so long since I've used it that I don't remember), brainstorming ideas, and going for it.

Wish me luck!

Xoxo,
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment